Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Taste

I am so excited to be joining the Together on Tuesdays Blog group. Although this is a little late, I wanted to get my feet wet, by starting with something.  This week's topic has to do with local events that have become traditions. While living in Southern Indiana for the last few years, I have had the fortune of experiencing Derby' at least from a far, and I think my fellow blogger, Charlotte, has done an excellent job giving a great description of just about everything Derby.

Being originally from Northwest Indiana, more specifically Gary, Indiana, I had the privilege of living in what we call, an Indiana suburb of Chicago, as we were less than a 30 minute drive.  Part of the appeal of moving to southern Indiana, was the fact that I was right over the bridge to Louisville, KY. I like the small city feel, with the option of a bigger city nearby, which was my experience living in Gary, and only being a short  train ride away from Chicago.

One of the most memorable events that I experienced growing up near Chicago, was The Taste Of Chicago. The Taste of Chicago is the world's largest food festival, which takes place in Grant Park in Chicago on an annual basis. There are usually tons of food vendors, along with a variety of music venues for everyone to enjoy.   It  typically was about a two week event, that occurred around the 4th of July each year. In recent times, it has been shortened to more like one week, but still draws millions every year, which, if you are adverse to crowds, may be the one drawback.  It is free to enter the event, and you just have to pay for what you decide to eat.

 I can remember catching the Southshore, which was the train from Northwest Indiana to Chicago. To me it was the best way to go, because you didn't have to worry about parking or traffic, which if you are from the Chicago area, you can really appreciate this advantage. I can remember my excitement building on the short train ride, in anticipation of all of the different varieties of food and entertainment that would be available.

With the vast amount of food options, everyone is sure to fine something that they like. My favorites, which just so happen to be some of the most popular food venues, are the Chicago style hotdogs, pizza and wings.

Favorite Hot Dogs - Gold Coast Dogs http://www.goldcoastdogs.net/
You have not had a hot dog, until you have had the delicious Vienna Beef hotdog with the sesame seed bun, onions, ketchup and relish, or whatever you like to add to your hotdogs.  

Favorite Pizza - Pizzeria Uno http://www.pizzeria-uno.com/
The Chicago style pizza is deep dished, with a buttery crust and loaded with tons of cheese and lots of toppings.

Favorite Wings - Harold's Chicken http://www.haroldschicken55.com/main.html?src=%2F
All time best wings in the world come from Harold's Chicken. They are crispy, with the best sweet barbeque sauce that you could have.

You can't leave the Taste of Chicago, affectionately known as "The Taste" without tasting some sweets. My favorites would have to be the cheesecake and anyone that knows me can guess the other favorite is Garrett's Popcorn.


Favorite Cheesecake - Eli's Cheesecake http://www.elicheesecake.com/
One of the best cheesecakes ever, so rich, creamy, and sweet, with such a variety of flavors. I really like the original with strawberries and the snicker cheesecake.

Favorite Popcorn - Garrett's Popcorn http://www.garrettpopcorn.com/
Many have tried to imitate, but I have found that Garrett's is truly the best gourmet popcorn and my favorite is the Chicago Style mixture of cheese and caramel. This popcorn is truly addictive.

These are just a few of the many delicious vendors that are available year after year. A big part of the fun is being able to try so many different types of food, and the live entertainment is another bonus. If you haven't been to the Taste of Chicago, I would suggest that you add it to your list of places to go. You will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Tish-my husband grew up in the Chicago area, and always talks about The Taste. We have been trying to go for years, but the timing never works out. I will have to try garrett's popcorn sometime when we are up there.

    ReplyDelete